Super Smash Bros. Ultimate features the largest roster roster the series has seen. With an ensemble of over 70 fighters coming from gaming’s biggest franchise, Ultimate boosts the most varied and iconic cast of icons the industry has seen. If you are like me and I suspect this is many, you want to try all the characters as soon as you boot up the game. However, going back to the series roots there are only 8 fighters available from the start, the rest of which needs to be unlocked.
With over 60 characters needed to be unlocked, the tasks appears to be a daunting and long grind. It is if you go by normal means as it will take multiple hours and it will definitely drain all the fun of the game temporary if you are looking to unlock all fighters. Fortunately, there are is a life hax that make the pursuit of completing the roster more bearable and less time consuming.
There are a few known methods to unlocking all characters. The first is grinding through Classic Mode and/or World of Light (essentially playing all through these modes) until all characters are unlocked. If you want the fastest method possible, this is not desirable as this will take hours upon hours to complete.
Pre-patch the most optimal method is to go into “Smash’ mode. Set the rules to “stock” with 1 stock on the counter (it use to be 1 stock before the patch). Using a friend or CPU (doesn’t matter) as a foe enter a match and suicide immediately to end the game quickly. Once you return to the select screen, hit the home button and close Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (by pressing X). Reboot the game and repeat the method aforementioned. After each battle you will be challenged by a fighter. Just simply rinse and repeat until all characters are unlocked.
Now with the day-one patch this method doesn’t work anymore. Instead a new method has been discovered and yes I have tested at the time of writing that it works. Full credit goes to Monogon Man for sharing this method.
Monogon details each step one by one.
- Create a 10 minute match.
- After the 10 minute match you will encounter a new challenger.
- After you defeat the new challenger, DURING THE SCREEN WHERE IT SHOWS THE NEWLY DEFEATED CHALLENGER, Go to Nintendo Switch home screen, and CLOSE SOFTWARE. This MUST be done during the screen showing the challenger you just defeated.
- When you get back in the game, go directly to create a new match, and create a 1 stock 2-player match, make one player run off the edge (you can speed this up by making the stage select random or in-order so you dont have to pick a stage between each reset).
- AGAIN- AFTER YOU DEFEAT CHALLENGER YOU MUST RETURN TO THE SWITCH HOME SCREEN AND CLOSE SOFTWARE DURING THE SCREEN SHOWING THE CHALLENGER YOU DEFEATED.
- Repeat all of the above. IF YOU MISSED THE WINDOW TO CLOSE SOFTWARE, YOU MUST MAKE A NEW 10 MINUTE MATCH THEN PROCEED WITH ABOVE STEPS.
Note. If it suddenly stops working like it did for me, go to “Games and More.” On the bottom right corner there will be a temporary window where you can rechallenge any fighters that you lost to. Rematches for fighter that you have lost can only be achieved in here. I found that playing a few matches will allow the Rematch window to appear if it disappears.
I have tested this method and it does indeed work. If you any questions, drop a comment and I will gladly help.